In every traditional ball in Austria – then and now – young adults make their debut. The debutants will make their glorious entrance with a choreography straight from the heart of Vienna itself. This is an unforgettable and stylish evening for both ball guests and debutants.
Debutants prepare for their debut through dancing lessons; however, it is much more than just dancing lessons. The joy of learning to dance, making friendships that will last a lifetime, getting access to a vast network of “oud-debutanten” who have made their debut in previous years. The “Jungdamen und Jungherrenkomitee” consists of, at most, 64 debutants: 32 dancing couples. Everyone can participate, even if you do not think you can dance (yet)!
Make your debute?
- To be able to participate you must be between 18 and 26 years old
- To prepare for your debut, you will attend dancing lessons for the Viennese waltz, foxtrot, cha cha cha (which can be of use to you for the rest of your life). Furthermore, you will learn the choreography with which you will open the ball. This will all be led by a professional choreographer/dance teacher. The dates for the dancing lessons can be found by clicking this link.
- There will be a formal reception at the Austrian residence by the Austrian ambassador. This is a unique experience.
- Dinner for Parents. After one of the dancing lessons, a dancing lesson for parents will be held as well as a dinner for both debutants and their parents. This is done so that all parents can get to know one another better as well as to sharpen their classical dancing skills before the ball takes place.
- The “Jungdamen” will get a unique diadem and white gloves up to the elbow. The “Jungherren” will get cufflinks unique for their year and white short gloves.
- During all the preparations for the ball, the “Oud-Debutanten” Committee will guide you while the “Hulp-Debutanten” from the year before will be a great support for any and all questions that you may have in regard to your debut.
- After every dancing lesson an activity, drinks, or a dinner will be organized (these are calculated separately)
- At every dancing lesson, members of the “Oud-Debutanten” Committee will be present. They can show you the ropes which will be of great use to you.
- We will provide the traditional corsage or bouquet.
- You will of course have admission to the ball itself and the afterparty in Grand Hotel Huis ter Duin.
- On the day of the ball itself the final rehearsal will take place. This is a very busy day that starts at 8 AM. The female debutants will get their hair done professionally in the style of that year. They will also get their make-up done by a professional make-up artist.
- You will make many new friends – going through these preparations together creates a close-knit bond. Often after the dancing lessons you will eat together or go out together.
- After the ball you will become part of the “Oud-debutanten” network that regularly meets up for activities. Furthermore, “Oud-debutanten” get a steep discount on their admission ticket for the following balls.
Making your debut is an unforgettable once in a lifetime experience
You can register yourself now free of charge. Confirmation of participation will follow later as well as the payment of the debutant package.
Registering as a debutant is possible until the 15th of December. We will make sure you will get the necessary attention to be able to catch up on any lessons missed.
THE BOARD RESERVES THE RIGHT TO TERMINATE YOUR ADMISSION AT ANY TIME IN THE EVENT OF UNDESIRABLE BEHAVIOUR OR FAILURE TO JOIN THE GROUP.